Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Monday, August 18, 2008

Go Away Fay





This is the current anthem for everyone down here in Southwest Florida. I am vacationing down here with my mom and sister, Betsy. We got down here really late Sunday and it looks like we're just in time for Tropical Storm Fay. Fay has been pretty good to us so far. I was able to fit in a run this morning and we spent most of the afternoon sea dooing around the back bay and the Gulf. At about 5:30 the rain really started and now (about 12:13 am) it's really blowing out there.

We went out for a little shopping and dinner this evening but most of the stores were already closed in preparation for the storm. EVERYTHING was being boarded up with either metal or sheets of plywood; even big department stores. We ate at PF Changs and they were going to close at 8:30 because of the storm. We asked the waiter what was up with all the closing down so prematurely and he explained cities and stores can be sued if someone happens to be hurt during a storm so they shut down to avoid any liability. Right now there is only a voluntary evacation for the island so we are sticking it out! We have filled old OJ jugs with water for ice blocks to place in coolers for our food and filled the tub with water so we have some water to flush the toilets if the power goes off. Not anything too heavy-duty but at least we are prepared. The pool may be our shower for the next three days!! I set my alarm for 6 am so I can snap a few pictures from the rooftop....I'll keep the blog updated.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Yikes! I've been watching Faye, but I guess I didn't realize Ft Myers was going to get hit. Please keep safe and stay in touch.

Nick and Kristi Bonstell said...

We wish you luck and stay safe!